Labels

Monday, February 20, 2012

Feminine Products: Menstraul Cup and Cloth Pads!

Now this topic might be a little messy for some of you, but it is one that I truly believe needs to be talked about and isn’t really messy at all; Feminine Products. These are a regular need for most women whether it be for our menstrual cycle or even if you just use a panty liner for your own personal reasons. We all use or have used some sort of feminine product in our life time to help us in our time of need. I would like to share with you about two alternatives to pads, panty liners, and tampons that are better for your health and better for our eco system.
Did you know that there could be dioxin, pesticides, plastics, and other harmful chemicals in your tampons and pads? Check out these web sites:
  • http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=777
  • http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tara-settembre/are-your-tampons-green_b_374609.html
  • http://blog.biggreenpurse.com/biggreenpurse/2010/08/seven-ways-to-green-your-period.html

    Most of you know that we use cloth diapers in our home. I am use to the extra load of laundry here and there. It has been worth it and our utility bill hasn’t been any higher since we started. Therefore I personally am opting for the Cloth Pads. I have made them and am waiting for Aunt Flow to visit once this baby comes. Also I might buy some to later to see how I like those and see if I like those better or differently. I have already gone through my bathroom drawers and given away or thrown out the last of my disposable feminine products. After this baby gets here I will be using Mama Cloth! I have read several articles or personal blogs that stated once they changed to Cloth Pads their cramps went away! Even a couple ladies who had cramps so bad they had to take off work. I am not only excited about the health benefits of using chemical free products; I am excited about no cramps! Check out this article:
    • http://www.5minutesforgoinggreen.com/583/cloth-for-mama-are-you-crazy/
    As far as how to 'store' used pads until you wash, some of my friends rinse them out in their sink or bathtub and then put them in a bucket full of water with vinegar and a lid on top. They keep it under there bathroom cabinet. That is how I plan to go about it. Also, when it comes to washing them, I plan to throw them in with my cloth diapers since they will be pre-rinsed and then soaking in the vinegar water. I have some friends who also put theirs with their regular laundry.

     These are the different types of Cloth Pads that I made using my own designs from others I have seen!
      Another option to look into is a Menstrual Cup. The menstrual cup is an option to replace the tampon. It is inserted into the vagina to catch the womanly ‘droppings’. I have several friends who use the Diva Cup and love it. They said, as do articles that I have read, that is can take a few months (a few cycles) to learn how to 'use' the cup and maybe a glass of wine to help you relax while learning *smile*, but once you do you will fall in love with it. After my postpartum cycle I plan on trying the Diva Cup at least once. I know it sounds silly to be excited about trying feminine products, but you do not understand my predicaments I have had in the past with my own cycle. Not fun. Here are a few web sites you can check out:
      • http://drjengunter.wordpress.co+m/2011/08/14/what-is-a-menstrual-cup-and-why-should-i-use-one/
      • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cup
      Personally, when my regular cycle returns, I plan to use these products at different times instead of just one or the other. I love the different options that they give and how they take out another monthly dent in the pocket book. When I actually have my own experiences I will have to update this part of the info. *smile* Also, for those of you who know what a menstrual cup is or are thinking about trying it out, here is a funny review that I could not keep to myself that a friend shared with me. It is not to deter you, it is meant for humor. Enjoy!
      • http://www.amazon.com/review/R39TB4HUVK8Z6/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R39TB4HUVK8Z6

        No comments:

        Post a Comment

        "So speak and so do as being about to be judged by the law of liberty. For judgement will be without mercy to the one not doing mercy, and mercy exalts over judgement." James 2:12-13